Works to repurpose a 1960’s flat-roofed wing of a former Headmasters House in Suffolk is now well underway.
This large house, originally constructed in the 1930’s, has been successfully converted by the current owners into a contemporary private residence. Plaice were appointed in 2016 to carry out an initial feasibility study to evaluate opportunities for redevelopment and provide a new vision / aesthetic that visually unified the complex of buildings and formed connections with the rear garden. The over-arching brief called for adaptation rather than whole-scale demolition, so that existing spaces could fulfil new family uses.
It quickly became apparent that the first floor shower block and changing facilities were not only superfluous in terms of accommodation needed at first floor level, but also very detrimental to the overall look of the house and street-scene. Removing this element allowed us to reinstate lost features such as a gable window over the staircase, roof lines, bargeboards, chimney breast and brickwork. At ground floor level, we have designed a new pitch-roofed extension to act as a counterpoint to the end of the 1960’s wing, its scale and cladding adding visual interest at the end of the garden, whilst helping to enclose the garden, adding privacy.
Working closely alongside the client and his contractor, we have worked together to select a bold / striking palette of new materials for each façade, which comprises a combination of black painted rendered panels, triple glazed timber composite windows with a matt black finish and dark Anthra-zinc sheet cladding (with vertical ribbed sheets) to the walls and roof of the new extension. The new garden elevation contains large corner glass doors and tall windows (again finished in a matt black) to embrace natural light and views into a new landscaped garden.